 LEGO Company / 819
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:36:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   Thanks in advance for your help!

I just saw the new colors in person, so now I can make an informed assessment. I ordered a few sample pieces from BrickLink so I could see what all the fuss is about.

In simplest terms, looking at the new and old colors side by side, I prefer the new grays, and the old brown. The new reddish brown looks all right, it’s just not a true brown to my eyes.

I have a small collection (1000-2000 pieces each?) of the three old colors. I’m not going to get too upset about the situation. If I had a large castle or cathedral under construction, I would be upset. While the two browns could be mixed, the grays don’t go together very well. I’m not going to get rid of my current collection, nor start another collection of the new colors.

While I understand the desire to align the color palette, and sample audiences may prefer the new colors, the real question is whether the color changes will sell more products? NO! I don’t think the average kid or their parents will buy, or not buy, based on the shade of gray. From my perspective, I buy Lego sets based on the content, cost and value. These changes will not spur any increase in sales volume. I also don’t believe the AFOL backlash will last long, nor have a significant affect either.

So if the color changes won’t have a significant affect, why bother? The addition of less common colors (brown, tan, gray, purple, etc) to buckets and tubs in recent years has generated many purchases by me. I will spent my money to build a collection of new (not replacement) colors. The best way to increase future sales to me would be to increase the availability of varied colors. Increased variety and availability at Pick A Brick, Shop at home bulk sales, and buckets and tubs will drive larger and more frequent purchases.

I realize there is no turning back, but I would suggest that changing basic colors again in the future would be a bad idea!