 LEGO Company / 790
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:37:28 GMT

If I had to pick my favorite ever LEGO color, it would have to be (the old) dark
gray.  Don't know why, I've just always thought that a dash of dark gray always
adds something good to a model asthetically.  It's going to take me a while to
adjust to the new colors.  I'm not sure if there's anything intrinsically better
or worse about either pair of grays but with all the time I've logged with LEGO
bricks the new colors just look wrong (too blue!).

My enjoyment with this hobby comes more from building official sets than
building MOCs (partly lack of time, partly lack of talent).  Unlike a lot of
folks here I don't often mix the parts from my sets and practically never buy a
set just for its parts (that's why I'm always thrilled when folks share
instructions for alternate model MOCs).

Since its the official sets that grab me the most, I honestly can't say that the
new colors are going to affect my buying habits at all.  As always, if a new set
looks cool (e.g. new Millenium Falcon) I'm sure I'm going to buy it.  But coming
from my angle, I can't help but wonder what the LEGO artists and set designers
think of the new colors.

I mean I wonder if all of the top set designers and model builders were always
complaining stuff like "Man, I hate these grays, they don't 'line up' with the
other colors, I wish I had better grays in my palette, these sets and models
would look so much better."  You know what I mean?  If the real artists and set
wizards at TLC were complaining that the grays needed to change for them to
really be able to deliver great works -- then it would be easier to accept this
as a smart move and defend it to others who disagree.  Unfortunately we have no
way to know what those folks think.  All I can say is that the fan model
designing wizards who post to LUGNET seem to all hate the color change.  That
makes me wonder if the top TLC designers could think much differently.

In the end kids want to buy the LEGO sets that look cool and do cool things.  If
the choice of colors is not coming from your top artists and set/model designers
then I find it hard to believe it will have much value and is even worth the
effort.  If you give your most gifted designers the palette that they really
want to bring these products to life then you're bound to do well.  All that
other business with focus groups and color studies isn't worth anything if the
sets don't look their best in the end.  It's the look of the set and the ideas
it sparks that gets it off of the shelf and into the shopping cart.  It's the
quality of the play experience that gets them to go back that aisle in the toy
store looking for more.  If you're truly giving your artists what they want and
need to make magic with those bricks then I can't find much reason to complain.

Regards,
Paul D.