 LEGO Company / 789
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against.

My biggest personal gripe: it’s just another step farther away from the nostalgic feeling I get when interacting with the product. The biggest reason why I still have LEGO in my life (and lots of it), is that it brings me back to childhood. But ever since the death of Classic Space in 1987, bits and pieces (pardon the pun) of that quality have been replaced, and by ‘99, vanished forever. I have only my old sets with which to wallow in good feelings. I swear to God I still buy new stuff out of a sick habit, or simply forever hopeful my original feeling is somehow re-kindled. And there’s coolness to be found here and there. But it’s not the same.

Maybe it’s just that I’m not the same. But I’m not on trial here! :o)

I get emails from 15-year-old visitors to my site, talking about the “good old days in 1999” when the “original, classic Star Wars sets” were out, and that how “things have really changed, man.” So everything’s relative. Things change, older generations whine while the vastly larger market of the latest generation say “cool” and buy whatever’s on the shelf.

Change is inevitable.

But this change was unnecessary, and having avoided it would have just been one less thorn in my aging side.

Now. You can apologize by bringing back Classic Space. ;o)

--Dave LUGNET member #95