 LEGO Company / 787
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:32:47 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings
about the color issue, both for and against.

Jake,

Thank you for taking the time to solicit opinions from the fan base.  Much has
already been said in this message thread and others about the color change.  For
me personally, the color change means two things:

1. One of my favorite colors (Dark Grey) is going away and being replaced by a
hue that (in my opinion) does not coordinate as well with other colors such as
Yellow, Tan, Brown, and Green.  For the kinds of models I build, the new Dark
Grey just doesn't seem as appropriate.

2. The new Light Grey is close enough to the old one that it is not easy to tell
which one I am holding in my hand until after it has been dropped into a sorting
bin or snapped onto a model containing the other.  This makes it difficult to
sort and build with Light Grey pieces.

I generally welcome new LEGO colors as long as they are different enough from
the existing colors to actually provide new building opportunities.  And I will
eventually make room in my storage system for any colors that I acquire enough
of.  However, this change has caused me to put the bulk of my LEGO purchases on
hold, probably for several months to come.  This will give me time to finish
sorting all of my old color brick and evaluate the impact of this color change
on my sorting/storage system.

I have spoken with many people about the color change: AFOLs, parents,
non-AFOLs, and even LEGO employees.  Almost everyone I have spoken with was very
surprised that you would make a change like this to what has otherwise been a
very consistent toy for decades.  I am willing to consider that I may have
influenced these reactions with my own feelings about the issue, but you should
likewise consider that you may have influenced the participants in your focus
group in a similar manner.

It seems to me that the last thing TLC needs right now is to create uncertainty
in the minds of your most loyal and active customers.  Please bring the old
colors back into production!

Thanks for listening.

- Chris.