 LEGO Company / 786
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:48:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Walter Walters wrote:
I saw mentioned in the following thread http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43593
that LEGO has a new recycling process, and the recycled ABS is used to make
black and gray.  I suspect that the new grays may somehow be the result of
this recycled material.

Anything can be recycled into black, because carbon is the cheapest source of
black colorant (with the added benefit of being naturally UV resistant), and it
will overpower any previous colors.  This did get me thinking, though, that the
greys got colder, and brown got warmer.  If blue tones are being added to the
greys, and red tones are being added to brown, that could explain the wonky
results.