 LEGO Company / 775
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:16:58 GMT

   As both my duty as the Community Development Manager, and as an AFOL, I’m interested in helping to make sure that the LEGO Company fully understands the issues you have as well. I’m looking for your help to deliver the message. To be totally clear, this is me asking in order to have answers ready if and when my colleagues ask.

I can not help thinking that the company asking (or rather the fact that they need to be told by you Jake) AFOLs opinions’ after the fact, is simply adding insult to injury.

I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against.

To the LEGO company,
I would like to make it perfectly clear that I support the addition of new colors. (I do wish that they would get a better distrubution when introduced, such as in basic tubs, so that we can actually build with them.) However replacing exsisting colors is completely unacceptable to me as a consumer. As others have stated already color consistency as well as clutch compatability are the two staples of quality that I measure LEGO by. By throwing that out the window you have destroyed one of the fundamentals by which I could always count on LEGO. People always say that LEGO toys are meant for children and AFOLs do not have the same perspectives as the core target audience. That is completely untrue. The reason AFOLs exist is because we loved LEGO as children. The same reasons we loved LEGO as children are what keeps us still building today. Always remember our criticisms are out of love for the brick. We want our children and our grandchildren to know the joy we have never outgrown. I belive that the color change is merely a symptom of a larger problem, LEGO has forgotten who they are. LEGO is a construction toy, by trying to draw in the children who don’t like construction toys in the long run you are only hurting and alienating your core audience, children of all ages who like construction toys.

-Mike Petrucelli