 LEGO Company / 774
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:47:18 GMT

Thank you Jake. I am glad that the color issue is being addressed.

In my opinion, the changing of colors is only one symptom of a larger problem at LEGO. LEGO cannot be everything to everyone. LEGO should be LEGO. It is much more important to be known as an excellent company with the best product than to be in every home.

In the early 1960’s my grandparents bought LEGO bricks for their children. Even though they never had much money, they immediately understood the creative and educational benefits of the bricks. Over time they appreciated the high quality and durability of your product. The first LEGO that I played with happened to be these old bricks. My parents and my aunts and uncles bought their children LEGO because of their own good experiences building. LEGO is multigenerational. At least three or four generations of children will play with my family’s original bricks.

People know when purchasing LEGO that it is fully compatible with the old bricks and that it will last for a long time. My parents did not understand why the brick colors needed to change. I am sure this is a problem you will face with other parents too.

Whether the colors are changed back or not, I think that LEGO needs to slow down and focus on what has worked in the past. Remember that the parents who had LEGO growing up want consistent bricks and colors. They also want products similar to the ones they played with as children such as basic bricks and system sets.

Innovation and improvements to products are important but not at the expense of displeasing large numbers of your customers. I look forward to the new strategy of refocusing on the “core” products of toys at LEGO. It is a step in the right direction.

Ben Ellermann