 LEGO Company / 741
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:12:20 GMT

Hello Jake,

First, I’d like to thank you for allowing the AFOL community a chance to provide constructive feedback. I don’t know of many other companies that would take such interest in a relatively small market segment’s opinion.

From a personal level, I really don’t feel strongly one way or the other about the grays being changed. I can work with them all in one way or another. The color change almost certainly won’t affect my LEGO spending habits.

My thoughts are more from a marketing and perception of the general buying public side. The new colors are just different enough from the old to be noticeable, but not different enough to really be considered a “new” color. There’s the perception that “this batch of color is off - wonder what happened in quality control?” going through consumers’ minds. So rather than being concerned about my own collection of pieces, I’m more worried about the long-term effects of like-colored-but-not-exact-colored pieces mixing in with the kids’ collections.

In short, it could look like a mistake, and consumer confidence in LEGO and the brand could take a hit.

That, to me, is much more of a problem than having to match colors for a MOC.

So my un-asked-for advice is to make a silk purse out of what could be a really stinky sow’s ear... LEGO should tout the change and tell people why it’s better. “NEW BRIGHTER COLORS!” This might work well with KKK’s taking firmer control of the reins.

In the end, anything that erodes confidence in TLC and the LEGO brand is a bad thing for all AFOLs in the long run.

Best regards, Kelly