 LEGO Company / 738
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:15:27 GMT

Jake,

Thank you for taking the time to get feedback from the AFOL community. I hope most of it is rational and polite.

Light gray and dark gray are (were) my favorite colors and I was very upset to hear about the color changes. As a new color, in addition to the old, I am in favor of any new colors, but to replace/discontinue a color that has been a standard color for over twenty years makes no sense. I literally have THOUSANDS of dollars invested in these colors and now they are gone. I can still buy them on the secondary market but at a now inflated price. When I look at some of the new sets coming up I get excited “Hey cool, that door in dark gray...Oh wait. Its the wrong gray”. Disappointing. Why would I buy a single set with colors I can’t use? It would take YEARS to accumulate the same quantity of the old grays to build the size of structures I enjoy building.

I was hoping for more variety of parts to come out in the old grays and now that will never happen. I will never have more types of parts to work with than I have now. Thats depressing.

I’ve seen the new colors and as a new color they are fine but they make a poor substitute. The dark gray is too metallic. The brown is too washed out. The light gray looks ....stained?

My other concern was my original love was Classic Space. It is what brought me back to Lego after a long dark age. I was hoping for a Legend in Classic Space. The Galaxy Explorer (the best Xmas gift I ever got, hands down) would be incredible. But any Legend that comes out now will not be the same. It will have the wrong colors. Worse, the parts will not match with the FLEET of ships I already own.

I think most AFOL’s will agree that new colors are always welcomed but to eliminate colors after 20 years makes no sense.

Bring back the old grays.

Mike