 LEGO Company / 729
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   As both my duty as the Community Development Manager, and as an AFOL, I’m interested in helping to make sure that the LEGO Company fully understands the issues you have as well. I’m looking for your help to deliver the message. To be totally clear, this is me asking in order to have answers ready if and when my colleagues ask.

VERY GOOD MOVE, Jake! IMHO, life is full of changes and that’s why it makes it interesting and chalenging. We can all adapt in every situations. I understand the concern of certain AFOLs, and here are my thoughts:

-First, WHY this decision? I would like to know exactly all the reasons, so it would be easier to understand and make up my mind about the changes.

-I like the new colors, as well as the all the diferents other color, it makes it very intersting for all kinds of MOCs, and let the artist go “loose”

-As a club member, I’m VERY concern about the changes when we’ll have our layout done. If we have different colors for our baseplates or 9V rails, it will look awefull, and we would have a hard time matching our current inventory with some new ones. Therefore, I don’t like the idea to abandon the old colors, but to add new colors to odd parts, but not bricks.

-As a club member again, we show our stuff of course, but also we represent what Lego is. And much too often we have the comments “where can I buy this or that?” and we have to say “well those aticles are dicontinued and they are only available trough online stores or auction sites” (I.E monorail). All visitors are in awe in front of our layout, and if we say “well TLC doesn’t produce the old grey any more” what will happen??? We already have VERY SAD faces in front of us and we feel so useless in front of their deception, we REALLY DON’T WANT to deal with the question about the colors in public. It is certainely not our duty.

-When I build MOCs, I already have problems with colors mismatch between new bricks and old one, especially grey, (sometimes wheatered bricks) so after the implantation of the new colors, it’ll be even harder, because we won’t be able to find the pieces we need in the old colors. So please reconsider the abandon of the old grey!

-KKK wants to focus on the “core”, HERE IT IS! Warm colors! And beg him to look at the effect it has on the Lugnet comunity. We always have what we need in our own backyard, so he can very well appreciate for himself the moves or changes which turned to be disasters, let him be the judge of his decisions.

-According to TLC, AFOLs represent 1% of the market, that is possible even if I doubt it, I’m sure that is way more than that, because it is us, PARENTS, who buy for the kids, and those parents have their say about their kids’s choice! They remember what Lego was and still is in their mind! I heard parents in shopping aisles choosing MegaBlocks over Lego because they have more bricks and have more possibilities to build with. I sure was shocked but that is also reality. I have a dear friend who is working in toy retail since 20 years and can predict with ease how the new Lego products will sell. He never went wrong. One constant thing he says is that people are asking for bricks with basic colors, houses, or anything with tons of possibilities. Most people don’t like sets with one construction or cant use the pieces with what they have already, and costumers complain already about the “crazy” colors which are available. So the impact of AFOLs/parents is CONSIDERABLE!!!

-To resume, like I said before, I welcome new colors anytime, but NOT in the abandonment of the old ones.