 LEGO Company / 720
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:16:51 GMT

<snip>

Jake,
Thanks for actively bringing up this topic.

When I heard that colors were being replaced, it was like a punch in the
stomach for me.  I have been a LEGO fan, collector, builder, and proponent
for much of my life.  (I am 26, and have been building for 23 years, with no
"dark ages.")
When I have been building my own creations, if a particular piece wasn't
available in a particular color, there used to exist the hope that it may be
released in a future set.  This hope started to fade when the 1 x 5 and 4 x
5 plate hinges were replaced with click-hinges.  Now this hope has
completely disappeared, at least for the old light gray, dark gray, brown,
and whatever other colors have been replaced.  For instance, I had really
been hoping that LEGO would release a certain type of hinge piece in brown,
and now, unless LEGO reverses the color change, that hope is gone.  The same
applies to new pieces as well.
The issue of quality control has been brought up be several people, and I
agree that it is a serious one.  The LEGO company has had, over the years, a
good reputation for quality control, and the replacement of the colors in
question will only hurt that reputation.  It matters not whether it was an
intentional or unintentional change; the perception of quality has suffered.
How about Legends?  In my mind, any Legend set released with the new colors
will not be worth buying.

Again, thanks for your willingness to ask for feedback on this subject.
However, I feel like writing this letter has been an exercise in futility,
due to this paragraph of yours: "Again, we are not changing the colors back,
and from what I know now, we aren't considering it. This is an information
gathering mission only."  I will be voicing these same concerns to Customer
Service, but I would like to take it one step further, if possible.  Would
you be able to provide contact information (either an e-mail or snail-mail
address) for someone higher up in management?  I would like to send a letter
to the place where it will do the most good, and have the most chance
(however slim it may be) of reversing this change.

-Joel