 LEGO Company / 700
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:12:31 GMT

Jake, Thanks for the “official” opportunity to be heard. I’ll spare you the history, but suffice it to say that LEGO has been a part of my life for the past 34 years, and is one of the things that keeps me young.

I posted a poll on LUGnet about this issue. While not scientific, ballot-box stuffing is extremely difficult. The results can be seen here

While I fully understand the reasoning behind the new colors, I cannot understand why the old ones need to “go away.” In my opinion, there is too large of an “installed base” of the old colors to simply cease making LEGO elements in those colors in favor of other, slightly different colors. All the reasons have been fully articulated here on LUGnet (here are a few again):
1) new and old colors won’t match,
2) expensive older collections will become somewhat “obsolete” (especially when elements are phased in or out), requiring purchasing lots of new (or old) colors
3) those not “in the know,” when combining sets for MOCs, will see the color mismatch and see it as a quality-control issue, and frankly, LEGO is too pricey to have color quality-control issues

There are more opinions, but I think these are the ones espoused by most AFOLs here.

Now, I can assume that LEGO could anticipate these issues. After all, LEGO employees can assumed to be collectors, and market research should have given you a clue to # 3 above. So, a somewhat cynical AFOL, who realizes that things are never as they seem, can speculate thusly about the color change:
1) LEGO doesn’t really care about AFOLs and their expensive, extensive collections, making this color change on a whim; and/or
2) LEGO somehow has no choice in making the color change. Something about the manufacturing process, environmental regulations, or other unspoken (to the AFOL community, at least) factor forces LEGO to make the change; and/or
3) The new colors closely approximate a clone brand, and LEGO is making the change because market research says kids want to mix their LEGO and clone brand bricks. and/or
4) LEGO is making the change so they can charge a premium for “classic” colors in bulk in a year or so.

My personal (very cynical) “take” on the situation is that the new colors are for the “consumer” market only. There are elements avaliable to LEGO company model builders that the general public just can’t get (in any quantity), and I don’t think we’ll see new models at LEGOland parks, road shows, etc, made exclusively of the “new” greys, ever. Which leads me back to conclusion #1 above - LEGO just doesn’t care about AFOLs and their collections.

Simply put, unless there is some physical or legal factor making production of the “old” colors impossible, I don’t think you’ll ever convince hard-core AFOLs that this was a good idea.

Thanks for listening,
James Wilson
Dallas, TX
LUGnet Member #1783, fan of The Brick since 1970