 LEGO Company / 686
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:53:25 GMT

Without going too far down the 'I remember when' line.
We all agree colour and colour range are an important aspect (even if the
word is incorrectly spelt). Too me the Lego colours have also been a source
of the charm of the product. The simple pallete corresponded with the
limitations on the realism of the sets. I mean this in a good way. It helped
define the style and image we have of what we consider to be the golden age
of set design. New colours and new pieces make our ability to produce a more
realistic model easier. A good example of this is the proliferation of the
new curved elements and the great use they have been put to (especially in
space models)

so we have change for the good of the product. All well and good. As I
belive you mentioned, the choice of new colours to add were not necessarily
made in a structured and pre-planned way. They need to be re-thought, this
also is correct. I have a few shades of light blue in my collection now,
they will make nice additions to small interior decorations or accentuation
of a model, but I don't have enough pieces, nor have enough different pieces
been made avaliable to make anything substantial so I'm not worried. The
colours need rethinking and rationalising and havent been around long ...
great.

So we come to the matter at hand ..greys and brown.

These are the ones that people are concerned about as they are fundimental
basic colours which hae been around (in the case of light grey and brown)
for 20 years at least. They are basics, primaries of the Lego system. Why
change them?? I have read the reasons behind the change. I understand the
reasons behind the change. I do not agree with the reasons behind the
change. Change for the sake of change is not a good thing.

Children in a focus group shown 2 colours and asked which they prefer out of
context (I am not saying this is definately what happended but I can well
belive it)
is not a fair test. Over the years Lego has made great steps .. through
community liaisons, support of fan activities and the release of products
the fans clamour for .. in removing the uncaring unlistening ivory tower
image of a company. This shows the total lack of empathy and awareness of
certain areas of the company, undoing much of the good work of other areas.
Concequences obviously have not been considered. How about the master
builders in the LEGOLand parks, with no way of reparing broken figures and
not the budget to replace them in total ?? A pattern we see often in new
products and constantly we are proved right. Bulk bricks are what people
want - Pick a Brick accounts for 10% of Lego Shop sales, Galidor won't wash
with the kids - Galidor is found in poundlands across the country, old sets
are great - LEGO Legends sell well,  Tertiary (added value - non brick
based) products arent the way forward - recent LEGO press releases, Bionicle
is rubbish - err lets skip that one, a change in brick colour is not the way
forwards ..... lets see how this one pans out. Over the years LEGO have seen
their product become collectible and pieces or sets escalate in price far in
excess of their production values. It has capitalised - or erroded this (no
arguments there) by rerelease of sets / parts. Now its at risk of doing this
with colours.
I wont mind the colour change if they continue to release "LEGO Colour
Legends" packs. favorite colours form yesteryear faithfully reproduced :)

--
James Stacey
------