 LEGO Company / 685
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:13:40 GMT

In a rather round about way the colour changes have worked out rather well for me. When I first read about the changes here on lugnet I felt an almost physical stab of pain. It was quite irrational. At the time I couldn’t really articulate why I felt so strongly about it and even now I struggle to understand why I care so much about something that is in theory so simple. I guess this is something like what the consumers involved in the “New Coke” debacle felt. Fair enough for long established and much loved products to grow and branch out, but to take away from the core product is (from the consumers point of view) unacceptable.

I’ve got quite a large collection, large enough to justify sorting by both colour and piece. The really annoying colours to sort are the newer ones, such as purple where I only have a few instances of each piece. The threat of having to start with the new colours was enough to make me re-evaluate my purchasing. I stopped buying new kits and signed up for an ebay account.

Like I said, the colour change has worked out rather well for me. I’ve had a great time buying up old classic space and pirate sets! I’ve acquired some of the great classics that I either missed during my dark ages or where too expensive when I was young. They look great on display, and when it comes time to break them down they are easy to sort in with the rest of my collection, no new colours and hardly any pieces that I don’t already have a draw for.

Since then I’ve only bought the 4 starwars mini sets with the new colours. I don’t know yet what I’m going to do with the pieces, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

Cheers Tim