 LEGO Company / 681
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:08:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello Jake, thank you for this opportunity.

I was part of the crowd that was infuriated by the color change. Since the change, however, I have taken an objective approach to evaluate exactly how the new colors (especially light and dark gray) will affect my building and purchasing behavior.

After the initial shock subsided, curiosity and concern about one of my favorite products prompted me to purchase the new Snowspeeder and three of the four new Mini sets. The Mini Imperial Shuttle is by far my favorite Mini set to date, and the parts included in the Mini ISD are fantastic. I found that I liked the new shades of gray...but only by themselves.

When mixed with the classic grays, the new grays create a distracting contrast which, in my opinion, renders the gray scale palette of LEGO bricks disharmonious and broken. I’m trying desperately to comprehend the reasoning behind this decision, as it seems to me TLC has hurt its product, not helped it. May I provide an example with no intention of being self-serving? Here’s my first MOC using a mixture of classic and new gray, a Sith Infiltrator....

At first glance yourself and others may or may not see much difference, but study the photos closely and you can easily discern the classic and new colors. Again, the contrast is ugly. This is but a small example of the discontinuity created by the color changes, and is greatly magnified for those who build large MOCs with a dominant color such as light gray. You may argue that TLC does not necessarily target the adult builder and therefore did not consider the color change significant; but I recall, as a young builder, being quite miffed if something about my creation didn’t match. I believe the color change is unwelcome across the age spectrum, though I have no proof. From this point forward, I will most likely concentrate my spending on Bricklink orders of classic gray for building MOCs. I will buy one copy of the new Millenium Falcon, but nothing more for this year.

In closing, I hope this is the type of response you were seeking, and I thank you once again for an additional outlet through which to vent.

-Matt