 LEGO Company / 533
532  |  534
Subject:
New colors and other info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:54:20 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Wow, it’s been a busy couple of days on LUGNET! My inbox, phone, and Instant Messenger have been going nuts with questions!

There have been a great many posts, speculations, comments, and feedback about two different issues. We wanted to make sure we had the best and most accurate information possible before getting back to you – we didn’t want to contribute to unnecessary speculation and rumors in the absence of the facts.

Stud changes and part/material quality

I have verified from three different internal sources that NO changes have been made to the studs. They are the same studs we know and love. This makes sense, considering that redesigning the studs on all parts we produce would be an overwhelming and consuming expense (not to mention unnecessary).

Further, the same molds and the same ABS pellets are being used as before. Material and part quality has not been changed AT ALL. We know that high quality is a very important part of the LEGO Brand and we would do nothing to compromise that. Period.

Color Modifications

As has been pointed out, there have been some modifications to the color palette. This was done with a great deal of consideration, and for a couple of very good reasons.

1. LEGO is known for having a bright, sharp color palette. As you can tell from the photo that Joe Meno posted (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43553) some of the old colors (like light and dark gray) are fairly “muddy” and dull. In addition to consumer feedback pointing this out – and not positively – we didn’t like the “muddiness” either, and looked for a solution to make all the LEGO colors “fit”. Check that picture from Joe again; you can clearly see how much nicer the new colors look. These new colors are brighter and sharper and more consistent with the primary palette for which the LEGO Brand is known.

2. The LEGO color palette has grown a bit organically (a nice way of saying haphazardly) over time. As needs for new colors came up, new colors were created somewhat independently of the rest of the colors. Since we have added many new colors in the last few years, it was clear that we needed a specific, focused, and defined color palette. In design terms, the colors needed to “fit together” better.

I don’t yet have the full details such as what colors have been modified – it appears to be a relatively small number – but will be posting that info as soon as I get it. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

From what I understand, all new products, starting with the 2004 sets will be coming off the line utilizing the new colors. It should be noted that we are looking into the feasibility of producing bulk packs of the “old” color elements to be made available through LEGO Shop At Home – no guarantees, mind you, but we’re looking into it.

Hope this helps!

Jake

---