 LEGO Company / 3753

Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:28:02 GMT

Hm.. how much to make metal rails, and then have LEGO-compatible pieces
that can
snap onto the bottom of the rail?

Scott

An AFOL already made some headway on that one, way back in '05..
http://users.erols.com/kennrice/flextrack.htm

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net
www.lifelites.com

Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:11:06 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Rob Hendrix wrote:

   An AFOL already made some headway on that one, way back in ‘05.. http://users.erols.com/kennrice/flextrack.htm

Whoa, I never saw that. Brilliant! My only suggestion would be to somehow use 1x8s instead of 2x8s, and spaced every other-- more prototypical that way.

In any event, well done, Kenn!

JOHN

Re: The Future of Trains
Whoa, I never saw that. Brilliant! My only suggestion would be to somehow use 1x8s instead of 2x8s, and spaced every other-- more prototypical that way.

Doesn’t look like it would work out as nicely. The connectors have two metal tabs on the bottom that appear to line up nicely with the studs that were cut off the 2x8 plate. Switch to a 1x8 plate and you’d have to cut away part of the base and wrap the tabs around from the sides, which might not hold as nicely. Additionally, for most people, it would mean they wouldn’t be able to mix and match the flex track with their existing track collection. Now, if someone was to switch over completely, and didn’t have a problem with the fact that they’d need to be much more careful with the ties, there are actually some interesting possibilities that could be explored. Like using brown plates instead of some shade of grey.

Re: The Future of Trains