 LEGO Company / 3771
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:33:48 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ben Fleskes wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote: snip
   I even would guess that a special sleeper plate with flat bottom (to float on studs beneath), with 242 studs on top and a kind of retaining clips to fix the metal rail would be an option for any “third-party producer”. BBB? Little Armory? We would surly need hundreds of these. On the other hand we would not like to pay 3 bucks per piece, but only 10% of this...

I would not care about another 3rd party piece. If lego cuts the support I do not mind to throw my purism over board.

Leg Godt,

I’ve looked at this and a few similar options. Wether or not BBB could achieve it at the $0.30 per piece range (preferably less) is a matter of quantity. I’d much prefer to be closer to $0.10 per piece. But in order to get that low, I’m thinking of production runs up to 100,000 parts and I don’t know if the demand would be there. Especially not knowing what LEGO will do.

The other aspect to this is that you are basically talking about a new ‘system’ of track and I don’t think you could just make the sleepers (ie ties) without making the other necessary parts - switches, crossings etc. and there in lies the crux of the problem. You can’t just engineer one part of a track system, you need to work out a whole system of track that will ‘play well’ together.

And investing in a whole system of track would require a lot of upfront cost which may be made entirely obsolete by what LEGO will release in 2009. It just doesn’t seem feasible to do the necessary R&D, release a product and make the investment back.

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC

Hi Ben,

I do not see so much need for a full system: the biggest need is for straight track and possibly new curve radius.

The aftermarket will offer used 9V switches for the next 20 years. Some people will switch to the new battery trains. Kids will give up their small train systems anyway.... But clubs and hard core users will allways have the need for a new curve radius and more straight track.

But of course this limits the mass of sleepers, which can be marketed.

The only “extra” part, which might be needed in fact, is a connection between standard 9V track and the mentioned sleeper+rail track.

But to be honest: I am not a strong potential custumer of such sleepers anyway. At the very same moment when the first pictures of the actual battery trains came up, I have begun to enlarge my pile of track and spare 9V motors. Unluckily these are made in a rather poor quality in copmparison to 90ies motors (LEGO has reduced the specification for the guaranteed operation time to 33% of the original value). Nevertheless I will never ever in my life need any more 9V equipment. My track is enough to put 2 ovals around the house and even if I burn 2 motors per year, I will be 70+ of age before my spares are used up....

This is the reason, why I am not personally hit by the demise of 9V trains. Of course it is sad, to make a public show and display classic sets of a glorious LEGO past.

9V leg godt!

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com