 LEGO Company / 3704
  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Well, this is something of a blow to the LTC's doing shows. If the decision has been made to discontinue the line and work on a replacment, let us be proactive, and indicate the positives of the 9V system that should be worked into a new (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Something that doesn't require *dozens* of batteries to have a display with a few operating trains for a weekend. (/cry/) Small size motors, for smaller MOCs. The existing 9volt train motor is a good size. Ability to have more than one motor (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Let see key needs for a new system. The ability to plug it in. No seriously, they should use the new wireless power transfer technology that is starting to get some serious attention in Popular Mechanics and other such publications. Frankly if (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

Alright, I think that most of us could buy into a new system of trains, if the right conditions were met. Absolutely must have conditions: 1) Enough torque in each motor to pull at least 10 cars 2) Compact component(s) that do not inhibit creativity (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

In order for any replacement for 9V to be acceptable to me (and to get my money) it must meet the following conditions: 1.Track must be 100% compatible with 9V track (as in, same size, same shape, same studs, same connections between track pieces (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) It would also be great if "on-track charging" was possible, like the racer track or the strips used to re-charge cars at Legolands (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Well, automated/interactive track-side accessories and innovative track geometries are kind of pointless if I can't pull an actual train. (...) For me, the ability to pull long (10+ cars) heavy trains for at least 6 hours at a time with little (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) The Medium PF motors is 4 studs wide by 6 studs long, and has a 6x2 plate portion on the bottom (no studs on top). The other motor is called the "XL PF Motor", which would hopefully imply that somebody within LEGO might have been *thinking* (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) More accurately, Li-Ion batteries, _unlike_ most other battery types, do age. NiCads wear out through use, or through improper partial charging, and have a moderate shelf discharge (depleting the charge while just sitting unused). NiMHs wear (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Mike, Excellent idea! I have read similar stories in tech magazines about how we might never need to plug a cell phone in to power again. Laying it on the surface of counter top with the power sending device mounted inside or underneath could (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Well the versions I have seen most recently are directly powering lamps and light fixtures and such. I don't know if that would be enough for a train motor. I doubt LEGO has that in the works too, but it would be nice. Reliance on batteries is (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) And presumably a "large" one too... Tim (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego)