 LEGO Company / 3707
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 23:48:04 GMT

Well, this is something of a blow to the LTC's doing shows.  If the decision has
been made to discontinue the line and work on a replacment, let us be proactive,
and indicate the positives of the 9V system that should be worked into a new
product.  I'll start:

Key needs for a new LEGO Train system:

-High torque with an ability to pull long/heavy loads.
-Ability to run long distances without significant power loss
  (This should be a key factor for any LTC's that do a lot of shows)

-Perhaps work an ability to build a semi-DCC control into the new train line,
allowing a train to slow around corners and work higher speed on straightaways.

Please feel free to add FORWARD THINKING comments and ideas here.  Let's not
bash the decision, but do what we can to work a viable replacment...

Scott

Let see key needs for a new system.  The ability to plug it in.  No seriously,
they should use the new wireless power transfer technology that is starting to
get some serious attention in Popular Mechanics and other such publications.
Frankly if the system relies on batteries its already sunk for most AFOL train
show purposes.  Wireless power however could do some seriously wonderful things.
Of course I can't imagine how bleeding edge technology would be cheaper than
maintaining the 9v standard so were back to batteries. Ugh.

I find the whole thing rather disgusting as I was just informing a co-worker
about Lego trains.  He has a 4 year old and wants to get a starter train that he
can expand and grow with his kid.  I told him Lego makes trains and he told me
he wants a "real train" not a battery powered one.  I told him about the 9v
Holiday Train and Lego Factory and he was seriously considering going that
route. (he really liked the complete customization Lego offers)  Now I have to
go tell him tomorrow to ignore my recommendation because the Lego company is
discontinuning their electric trains.  Flipping lovely.

-Mike Petrucelli