 LEGO Company / 3706
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:35:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Steve Witt wrote:
I'm posting this on behalf of Richard Stollery, head of LEGO Community
Development:

LEGO 9V Train Communication

Holger Matthes, Germany, currently member of the AFOL team which is involved in
the process of developing the new system explains the situation in this way:

“The LEGO train system has to fulfill different needs for different target
groups in a very special way. On the one hand it’s a toy for kids because it is
easy to set up and because of the playability in the kid’s room, and on the
other hand it is also for AFOLs who build huge LEGO train layouts with realistic
looking train models and functionality. The LEGO Group is aware of this and the
company tries to support both needs within the given restrictions (e.g. costs
for a niche product like the LEGO trains).”

Using the universal LEGO Power Functions system for trains will give The LEGO
Group the ability to match the demands and wishes of the AFOL Train community in
the future.

Steve Barile, USA – President of ILTCO (International LEGO Train Club
Organization) and one of the involved AFOLs says about the new train system:

“I am excited that the new universal Power Functions system can make track side
accessories viable and potentially automated and interactive.”

He continues:

“With the track being exclusively plastic the LEGO Power Functions Train system
has the potential for new and innovative track geometries and continued
innovation by both The LEGO Group and the AFOLs.”

These AFOL quotes give you an impression of what will be possible with the
future system and we will keep you up to date on the development of the new LEGO
Power Functions train system. We expect to have more information and details to
share with you before the end of the year.

While this is a disappointment due to the significant investment in the 9V
system I made over the past few years...I am very excited to see what direction
TLG is going to take with the Power Function trains.  I am very excited that
they are working within the AFOL community to try and serve our needs and ensure
backwards compatibility.  That's a lot more than many companies would do.  If
the Hobby Train box was any indication of what TLG can produce using the input
of AFOL's, I think we will be pleasantly surprised when the new trains come out
in 2009.

I see a possible incorporation of a NXT type program with the Power Functions.
TLG will certainly have to address the battery life and the motor power issues,
but I believe that these will be taken into account  especially given the
collective experience of the AFOL's involved in this project.

Ultimately, TLG has to ensure their profitability.  At the same time, I'm sure
they see the AFOL community as a market with significantly more disposable
income than the average kid.  I'm confident they will do everything in their
power (and within their financial constraints) to ensure that they do not
alienate us.

I'm sure there will be some AFOL's who will resist the change.  However, I am
(for once) taking an optimistic attitude and placing my chips on the new system
being an improvement in many ways over the old 9V system.  There is so much
amazing technology available today (blue tooth, micro stepper motors, Li-Ion,
etc.)  and I'm sure TLG can come up with something that will satisfy the
majority of the AFOL community.

-Dave