 LEGO Company / 3738
Re: The Future of Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:27:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Todd Thuma wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Let see key needs for a new system. The ability to plug it in. No seriously, they should use the new wireless power transfer technology that is starting to get some serious attention in Popular Mechanics and other such publications. Frankly if the system relies on batteries its already sunk for most AFOL train show purposes. Wireless power however could do some seriously wonderful things. Of course I can’t imagine how bleeding edge technology would be cheaper than maintaining the 9v standard so were back to batteries. Ugh.

-Mike Petrucelli

Mike,

Excellent idea! I have read similar stories in tech magazines about how we might never need to plug a cell phone in to power again. Laying it on the surface of counter top with the power sending device mounted inside or underneath could charge a phone.

I doubt that LEGO has that in the works for 2009, but that woul make an excellent modification.

For those that do not know, the technology uses radiowaves transmitted to an internal component in the receiver. The oscillation set up by the receiver is able to charge an internal battery. I wonder what the lab benches have discerned about longevity and recharge requirements. A motor seems like it would need a lot more power than a cell phone though.

Todd

Well the versions I have seen most recently are directly powering lamps and light fixtures and such. I don’t know if that would be enough for a train motor. I doubt LEGO has that in the works too, but it would be nice. Reliance on batteries is a serious negative aspect to me.

-Mike Petrucelli