 LEGO Company / 3588
Re: Addressing concerns about Outsourcing LEGO Production
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:43:10 GMT

Mexico has its own code of conduct, regardless of any international conventions.
Ultimately, no matter where TLC decides to manufacture its product, its up
to TLC as to who they hire and what code of conduct they enforce on their
plants and workers. They can enforce their quality standards on even the
cheapest workers.

Jonathan,
I dont know what kind of experience you have working abroad.
I worked for them for 3 years in Mexico, and it was not until an American
Manager was sent down to get things fixed, after firing 75% of the "work" force
(in my department), that things changed.
Then when the manager's contract ended and left, things reverted back to the old
way, and even worsened.

We will see if outsourcing works better this time around, as I said,
Mexico will present a series of problems that have may not been forseen.
A plastic mafia monopoly, unions, racketeering, and a country that is shifting
from production to distribution of assembled goods.