 Announcements / 3254

Subject:
Addressing concerns about Outsourcing LEGO Production
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:37:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is the response Consumer Services is giving in response to today’s
announcement:  “LEGO Group to outsource major parts of its production to
Flextronics”

Thank you for letting us respond to you regarding our recent announcement about
changes in our manufacturing locations.  Please let me assure you that the focus
of the LEGO Group has always been and will remain on product quality and safety.
No matter whether our products are produced or packaged at our own factories in
Europe or by manufacturers elsewhere, they must comply with our high standards.

The LEGO Group has been purchasing electronic components, textile items and some finished product for the last several years from outside suppliers.  This activity continues as production of some LEGO® items for the North American market transitions to an outsider supplier's facility in Mexico. Production of certain LEGO products will be maintained at LEGO owned and operated facilities in Denmark.   This decision was not made lightly, but was necessary to maintain the company’s competitiveness in the toy industry.

The LEGO Group is recognized as a company observing high standards in ethical,
social and environmental matters. That will not change. All our suppliers,
whether in Mexico or elsewhere must successfully pass a Code of Conduct audit
and comply with international certification requirements established by the
International Council of Toy Industries (ICTI). The purpose of this Code of
Conduct is to ensure that vendors and their sub-contractors produce components
and supply services to the LEGO Group in a manner that respects the rights of
their employees and the environment.  LEGO will monitor compliance with the LEGO
Group Code of Conduct, through our own internal audits or by use of independent
3rd party auditors such as Price Waterhouse Coopers.  We will also have LEGO
employees present in the factory to verify product quality, safety and code of
conduct performance.

I will monitor this thread and answer questions you may have about any of this.

Steve Witt
LEGO Community Relations Coordinator

Re: Addressing concerns about Outsourcing LEGO Production