 LEGO Company / 3495
3494  |  3496
Subject:
Announcing LEGO Ambassador 2nd cycle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:41:09 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

It seems like only days ago that the first Ambassador cycle was launched, but it’s been a bit over six months. In order to be able to meet with the first cycle at BrickFest, we pushed the first cycle a bit past the standard six month period. Hey, there’s a reason I’ve been calling the first group the “guinea pig cycle”!

In the first cycle, it took a while to get the program worked into the shared consciousness of the company, and we’re quickly getting to a point where colleagues are thinking about how to work with the Ambassadors without any prompting from me.

In this first cycle, the Ambassadors accomplished quite a bit, especially considering the introductory nature of this first cycle:

• Establishing the LEGO Ambassadors in the minds of the company, and working with me to develop the program
• Input into several top-secret product design projects for 2007 and beyond
• Input into the development process of the LEGO Inside Tour
• Develop of Ambassador newsletter to help share info about the community with the company (specifically the product designers)
• Conference calls with the Shows and Events team in Enfield
• Early info about several new products
• Direct questions of the Ambassadors from Jorgen Vig, the LEGO CEO

My heartfelt thanks to the Ambassador team for all their hard work and wonderful feedback. Ambassadors, you’ve made a big impact on the company and on the community. Your voices have been loud and carried far.

But seeing as the first cycle is coming to a close, it’s time to open up the application process again. I’ll be accepting applications until 31 August and will announce the new cycle of Ambassadors on 1 September. Details of the program are below, as are application instructions. Also, a general note: we will be expanding this cycle to at least 20 Ambassadors rather than 15 in the first cycle. If you’ve applied in the past but not been accepted, you’ll need to send your application email again (hopefully updated with your latest activities).

Again, thanks very much to the first cycle Ambassadors. You’ve done great things in the last few months.

Looking forward to seeing a ton of applications in my inbox!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

=============

What is the LEGO Ambassadors Program?
The LEGO Ambassador Program is a community based program made up of adult LEGO hobbyists. The mission of the LEGO Ambassador Program is to develop a tighter bond between the LEGO Group and the LEGO Community, by forming a trusted relationships with a select group of the leaders of the adult LEGO community.

All LEGO Ambassadors are expected to exemplify the program fundamentals of product and community enthusiasm, professionalism towards the public and other fans, and building proficiency.

How are Ambassadors chosen?
Selection is based on a written application (see below), that outlines why the applicant feels s/he should be accepted. It’s a subjective process based in no small part on participation and contribution to the LEGO community. This could be in the form of creating great events, forum postings that help other fans out, organizing a local club, enthusiasm about building, sharing with LEGO elements, or a range of other qualifications.

But while the selection is subjective, all Ambassador selections will be based on the program fundamentals of product and community enthusiasm, professionalism towards the public and other fans, and building proficiency.

Are LEGO Ambassadors employees of the LEGO Company?
No. LEGO Ambassadors are not LEGO Company employees. LEGO Ambassadors contribute to the LEGO fan community without the promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation. The LEGO Ambassadors Program is an officially recognized community based program of the LEGO Group. In fact, it’s important to note that a closer, more formal relationship with the LEGO Group doesn’t exclude negate the abilities of Ambassadors to speak freely, even critically on LEGO subjects. Ambassadors are not TLC spokespersons, but instead trusted allies.

If I’m chosen, how long will I be an Ambassador?
Every Ambassador has to re-apply every cycle (a cycle is 6 months). An Ambassador might be in the program for 2 years, but everyone re-applies every 6 months.

How many Ambassadors are there?
The first cycle had 15 Ambassadors, but the second round will be at least 20 Ambassadors.

Is this a worldwide program?
Yes, this is a worldwide program. Of course, it’s based on applications and not recruitment, so if no one from South America applies, for instance, there’s no chance that South America will be represented. The goal is to have both the best talent from the community as well as a representative distribution among countries.

What do the LEGO Ambassadors get?
In exchange for participating in the LEGO Ambassador program, benefits may include:

• Ability to use the LEGO Ambassador logo in email/forum post footers and in other contexts
• Pre-launch product information
• Invitations to participate in top-secret projects
• In-depth access to LEGO Group project teams
• Access to the private LEGO Ambassadors community forums
• Invitations to participate in local LEGO marketing events

As an Ambassador, what do I need to agree to do?
LEGO Ambassadors agree to be active contributors to the LEGO world-wide community by engaging in activities such as:

• Engaging in fan-to-fan support in online forums
• Actively participating with local LEGO clubs, or forming LEGO clubs if none exist locally
• Posting feedback, guidance, and other types of support in their favorite online communities
• Writing articles for publication online and offline
• Presenting LEGO building subject matter at events and conferences, as well as local user group meetings

Basically: Do more of what you’re doing already.

Additionally, we’d hope that Ambassadors will actively work together with the LEGO Company on projects that may arise.

Does this cost money?
No. This is a free program, you don’t need to pay to join. You will also not be paid for services, and are not considered to be employees of the LEGO Group.

How do I join LEGO Ambassadors?
A person interested in being a member of LEGO Ambassadors should send an email to ambassadorprogram@lego.com with the following information:

• A detailed list of places where you contribute to the LEGO community (online and offline)
• Links to your personal Web site and/or LEGO creations galleries
• An overview of your offline LEGO activities
• Other information that helps show you’re “community mindedness”

This email IS your application, so be sure to spend some time developing it. We’ll likely receive many applications from many qualified individuals; unfortunately, not all applicants can be accepted into the LEGO Ambassador Program. LEGO Ambassadors spots are up for review every six (6) months, so if you aren’t accepted you can always increase your community efforts and re-apply. In fact, it’s highly encouraged.