 LEGO Company / 3494
Re: If I could as KKK and TLG Chairman a question....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:16:31 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Unfortunately I won't be at Brickfest, but if I were, I would love to ask KKK
and the new Lego Chairman a question.....

Dear Sirs,

In 2005 TLG is celebrating 50 years of the "Lego System of Play" going back to
1955 with the introduction of the "Town Plan".  But have you seen what has
transpired in that 50 years?  50 years ago all Lego components were
interchangeable, and I don't mean you could attach brick A to element B.  What I
mean is that we had 9 different window types that were compatible so you could
build over 100 neat windows in all sizes in red or white.... there were 13
different sloped brick, which even though they only came in red or blue, you
could literally build a million different sloped roofs.... there were other
parts that all matched!!

Today we have a Spider Man Bank set with windows that match no other windows...
there are steep and low sloped bricks, but no valley bricks to make multi angled
roofs.... there are bricks in 35 or more different colors, but not in all
sizes... there are pieces in old retired colors that are not made (yet) in the
colors that replace them.

So in essence, the "System of Play" has over 10,000 elements, but most elements
are not part of a "system".  This has caused a lot of building problems for
AFOLs that just should not be a problem for "the toy of the century".

My questions to you Sirs is this... Can anything be done to help mend the
"System of Play" for AFOLs?  Because it is sad that most AFOL's can't even build
a model of their own house out of Lego.

Respectfully,
Gary Istok

(If there is a question and answer session with KKK and the new Chairman,
perhaps one of the attendees could ask them what I have just stated. Thanks!)

Gary,

What a wonderful question. I'll try to get it asked for you. I owe you one
(think Leer Jet).

Rich