 LEGO Company / 3306
Re: LEGO reports improved financial results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 06:22:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
LEGO has released their annual report for 2004 and it looks like there is some
good news!

I'm glad to see that gross margin is improving and that "Make and Create" has
been successful. I think these two factors are linked. Its good to see Lego get
back to basics and make more money out of it too.

I just wish I could see profitability by product line - especially Make and
Create vs Star Wars vs Bionicle.

For those too lazy to click through, this is what they say about explicitly
about AFOLs:

A growing number of adult LEGO
enthusiasts have begun setting up
groups to discuss their LEGO hobby.
They call themselves “AFOLs” – “Adult
Fans of LEGO”. Over a period of years,
the LEGO Group has actively developed
relations with many “AFOL”
groups, who have their own websites,
organise public events, and take part in
LEGO development projects. In January
2005 the LEGO Group announced
its “LEGO Ambassador” programme for
AFOLs worldwide. The purpose of this
programme is to expand mutually useful
relations between the LEGO Group
and its loyal, talented and committed
consumers.

I dunno, but the first two sentences sounds like the reaction of someone kind of
mystified and bemused by an unexpected phenomenon.

"A growing number of adult LEGO enthusiasts have begun setting up groups to
discuss their LEGO hobby. They call themselves “AFOLs” – “Adult Fans of LEGO”."

"There are a growing number of carnivorous plants growing sprouting up in our
back garden. They call themselves "Triffids""