 LEGO Company / 3227

Re: Release dates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:36:42 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   Dino Attack is a line meant to appeal to North Americans consumers (i.e. NA kids). Vikings is a line meant to appeal more to European consumers (i.e. EU kids). We tend to try to release all product lines globally. Sometimes this works fine, sometimes not so much. The idea here is to create lines that appeal in a large way to each major region.

Oh we could have a field day with this one.

Guns ‘n’ Pickups for the gun crazed middle America versus historical playsets for sensitive Scandinavians?

Dinosaurs co-existing with humans for the creationist New World versus mythical beasts for the barely Christianised barbarians of the Old World?

Forward looking, modern technology for the freewheeling United States, versus backward looking swords and wooden boats for the hidebound EU?

Discuss - 1000 words.

But seriously, I have noticed several comments on the modern weapons in Dino Attack. I guess in North America Lego has to compete with for shelf space with Mega Bloks, who are definitely not shy about modern weapons, but it makes me feel a little sad to see that kind of compromise with how I perceived Lego’s core values. Sure the “enemies” are dinosaurs, but still...

Re: Release dates