 LEGO Company / 1079
1078  |  1080
Subject:
LEGO's Worst Mistake Ever!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:41:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

When I came home from reading week one of the first things my younger brothers did was tell me how ugly and blue the new dark gray was. They came and showed me the new light gray on my brother’s mini imperial shuttle, and my brother had already replaced the blue/gray “binocular guns” with older dark gray binoculars.

Adult Lego fans are not the only ones who will be disappointed with the colour change, however they may be the only ones who will express their concerns directly to TLC. Children who are upset by this change will likely only tell their parents, who may respond by buying their kids something different for Christmas next year, but will probably never pass the messag on to TLC.

Growing up I was always looking for small sets that contained the pieces I needed to replace the ones I was missing from my other sets. Back then would have been even more disappointed about the color change then than I am today. At least now I have replaced all the missing pieces for most of my old sets, and I can find the color of brick I want on ebay and bricklink (markets wich are not available to kids). I have been playing with Lego for as long as I can remember. I got my first castle for my 6th birthday and was completely thrilled. After a few days I took it apart and began building other things with the pieces. A couple years later I tried to rebuild it, my instructions had fallen apart and most of the booklet had gone missing. I managed to reconstruct the castle using only steps 1-6, 41 & 42, the box, and my memory. Once in a while I would take a closer look at the box, and try to see if there was any thing I had not built quite right. By the time the missing part of the instructions was finally found, (about five years later) I had the entire castle assembled correctly with the exception of about a handful of pieces. It was not until last year that I was finally able to replace the last of the broken pieces for that set. If a colour change had of occurred when I was younger I would have been extremely upset, and would have probably lost all hope of replacing the broken and missing parts from my favorite sets.

I realize that not all kids care whether the colours match as much as I did, (I rarely ever built anything that did not have matching colours, and if I did it would not stay together long). But it is the kids that do care about matching colours who build modles that amaze other childeren and cause them to begin to get into lego. Most of the kids I played with growing up were inspired to start building and playing with lego after seeing my collection. Once I had a friend follow me home from school just to see what lego can do. Kids who don’t care about matching colours will be much more likely to use other brands anyways, as they cost half as much.

As a fan of classic castle I do not like the new colours of gray because they are too blue, and do not look as realistic as the older greys. However my main concern is that they do not match the old pieces. If they were blueish all along I don’t think any one would have been bothered by it. This change was a terrible mistake, you are upseting (and in some cases losing) your biggest customers, without any gain whatsoever. If anyone from TLC would have bothered to look at ebay sales, they would have noticed that customers were not dissatisfied with the old grey colours. Instead bulk auctions of a single colour of bricks usually sell for twice as much when the colour is grey, (I noticed this before the colour change was announced on bricklink).

I, and so many others have invested so much time and money into Lego collections in the old colours. This change will make it verry dificult for us to expand our collections. PLEASE BRING THE OLD LEGO COLOURS BACK! I would much rather be able to get the peices I want from the local department store, reater than having to pay much higher prices on bricklink and ebay to buy peices that are compatable with the collection I have been Accumulating for almost my entire life.

Sincerly: Daniel Walker