 Instructions / 746
Re: A sad day for BIP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:37:33 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Jake McKee wrote:

After something like 5 years I'm sad to announce my intentions to shut down the
Building Instructions Portal (www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions).

I'm willing (with a few requirements) to turn over the site (code, domain name,
design) completely to anyone who knows ColdFusion (which is what the site is
programmed in), or to do a data export only if you'd rather code a new site in
another language. If you have other ideas for how to save BIP, I'm all ears!

It is time for me to propose an exam project for my students.  Do you think 3-5
software engineering students might be able to design and implement a useful,
stable BIP system in six weeks?  (I think it might be possible.)

I don't think we can expect my students to _operate_ the system, but the school
can _host_ the site (at least for some time).  This means that we have an
opportunity to formulate the requirements for a new, low-maintenance BIP system,
and get it built, but we still need to find some way to run the service.

Please let me know, if you think it is worthwhile going in this direction.  What
are the requirements for a good BIP system?

Play well,

Jacob
--
Sailing ship "Luna":