 Instructions / 740

Subject:
A sad day for BIP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 18:45:30 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

All,

After something like 5 years I'm sad to announce my intentions to shut down the
Building Instructions Portal (www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions).

Years ago when i first created the site I was a code newbie (although some may
argue that I'm STILL a newbie, back then I was a massive newbie), and to say
that  the code was...uh... problematic was putting it lightly.

Over the years I had always intended to rewrite the site in order to improve
stability. With the birth of my new daughter and my new business, my free time
has become nearly zilch. As such, I find myself in a quandary.

On the one hand, I love the BIP and want to see it live on forever. But on the
other hand, I know full well that I'll not be rewriting the code anytime soon
and that there are major stability problems with the current site that are
causing problems for the rest of the sites hosted on the same server.

While posting of new content has slowed lately, the usage of the site is still
fairly strong with several thousand page views a day and several hundred unique
visitors a day.

I'd like to throw out a call for help. If you're a coder in search of a fun
project, please drop me a line. I'd love to be able to turn over the site to
someone who has the mad skillz as well as the time to create a truly timeless
BIP mk.2.

I'm willing (with a few requirements) to turn over the site (code, domain name,
design) completely to anyone who knows ColdFusion (which is what the site is
programmed in), or to do a data export only if you'd rather code a new site in
another language. If you have other ideas for how to save BIP, I'm all ears!

If there aren't any takers, I'll likely have to shut the site down completely as
some point in the near future. No solid plans on that yet - I'm hoping there'll
be a BIP savior among us. :)

Thanks for your help and for your understanding! Long live the BIP!...
hopefully.

Jake
---
jake AT countersinkdg DOT com
Webmaster - BIP
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com

Re: A sad day for BIP?
lugnet.inst, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:04:53 GMT

Would it be possible to transfer the content to BrickWiki and not have to mess
about with coding and maintaing a whole seperate site?

Re: A sad day for BIP?