 Instructions / 241
Re: LSynth 2.0 Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:53:01 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> writes:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin Clague writes:
Hi Don,
I have no idea what license to choose.  Do you have a recommendation?

Not really.  I tend to waver somewhere between the GPL and Public Domain,
depending on how long it's been since I've had trouble with piece of
closed software.  Of the few licences here http://opensource.org/licenses/
that I've read, the zlib license is the shortest, and I do like to keep
things short and simple if possible.

GPL is the best in terms or preserving the author's rights.  Public
Domain is a bad idea - it means you surrender any rights to the
software, and people can then basically use it to build their own
commercial programs and wouldn't owe you anything!  With GPL, they
can't make commercial software out of it without negociating a
separate license.

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson