 General / 9132
Re: Lego 236 Garage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:04:34 GMT

Indranil Basak wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:
There was a change in philosophy at the company starting in the 1970's.  Since
then, we get detailed instructions for each level of building.  No more
guesswork.

I wasn't aware of that. I have recently come across some green bricks from
50's or 60's. It seems to be made out of cellulose acetate. Only other time I
have seen green bricks from that era was in Minitalia sets. However, Minitalia
green bricks don't have regular cylinders. When did Lego start making green
bricks? Thanks.

Hmmmm, the only green Cellulose Acetate bricks that I'm aware of are plates from
Samsonite LEGO (USA/Canada only, not available in Europe) parts packs (518, 519,
520, 521) from circa 1963-65.  These plates would be only in sizes 1x1, 1x2, 2x2,
2x3, 2x4.  I purchased a few of these as a child here in the USA (back in the mid
1960's), and still have them in my collection.

Besides these plates, the only other green LEGO bricks I am aware of,  would be the
10x20 thick (regular brick thickness) green baseplates.

A few months ago I checked with some historic LEGO collector friends in Germany and
England, and they were not aware of the existence of any other green Cellulose
Acetate LEGO pieces in Europe.

So if you have any other green Cellulose Acetate LEGO pieces, that would be news to
us.

Gary Istok