 General / 55918
Re: The 236 Garage... the simples and yet most complex LEGO Set...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:48:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

<snip>

Dave, I'll console you a little bit... the really valuable 1:87 scale cars were
mainly only sold in continental Europe.  Britain had a very rare black Jaguar
(#670), but the USA had just basically common color vehicles, and only a Bedford
Esso Tanker, Bedford Fire Truck and Bedford Tow Truck (all 3 trucks were only
ever found in the 725 Town Plan sets of USA/Canada.  None of the Mercedes
vehicles sold only in continental Europe were ever sold in North America.

Well at least there's that.  they were probably hot wheels or matchbox then :)

And the 236 Garage set was never sold in North America either... only the 235
garage parts kit... (always with a white base, red door and white door frame)
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/235-1
And the 310 Esso Service Station was also never sold in North America either...
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/310-5
except as part of the 725 Town Plan.

One irony is that even though all USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO catalogs of that era
showed a (rare) white garage door... only (common) red garage doors were ever
found in USA/Canada.

I have about a dozen doors and frames--some of which are broken :( and lots of
garage 'baseplates'.  Keep meaning to use them in *something*, but alas, no
inspiration as yet...

Cheers,
Gary Istok

Thanks Gary!  As always, your unique historical insight to our very favourite
hobby is completely appreciated!  Next time you're in town, let me know!!

Dave K