 General / 53897
Re: 10181 Eiffle Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:03:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Patterson wrote:
   Just finished building 10181. It is a great piece. However, it is rather flimsy which seems to be a continuing problem with the large new sets. What else I saw was a slight variation in the shade of the bricks. Even within the same kind of brick I found variation. Many of the bricks had scratches, probably from shipping, makes me wonder if the plastic is not a bit softer than the older ones. And there was somewhat unfinished edges on some of the bricks. I also noticed that bricks are made in Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Austria and the Czeck republic. I hope that the move to Flextronics does not mean a lessening of quality control. I might also mention that there were extra bricks. For $200 this is a good deal. The other sets that have sold for around this had electronics in them so I am concluding that there is a fairly hefty price increase. While this does have 3428 pieces, many are 1x1 and 1x2 plates and 1x1 bricks as well as a lot of other very small pieces. Despite my nit picking it is an extrememly great set to display. I think that it might have looked better in the old Dark Gray and I might go ahead and build it in that color. John P

John:

Thanks for the great review. I had wondered if a lot of the pieces would be the small 1x1 variety. I’ll definitely have to see this set in person before deciding whether to purchase it. I’m just not convinced that it will fit into my layout yet and I haven’t heard anyone say it’s a phenomenal parts pack. For $200, I can do some decent Bricklink action. :-) Anywho, thanks for the great review.

-Dave