 General / 53907
Re: 10181 Eiffle Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:06:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gaurav Thakur wrote:
In lugnet.general, John Patterson wrote:
Just finished building 10181.  It is a great piece.  However, it is rather
flimsy which seems to be a continuing problem with the large new sets.  What
else I saw was a slight variation in the shade of the bricks.  Even within the
same kind of brick I found variation.  Many of the bricks had scratches,
probably from shipping, makes me wonder if the plastic is not a bit softer than
the older ones. And there was somewhat unfinished edges on some of the bricks. I
also noticed that bricks are made in Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Austria and the
Czeck republic.  I hope that the move to Flextronics does not mean a lessening
of quality control.

I've noticed the same thing with some pieces I recently got. I posted my
thoughts on it here a few weeks ago:
http://news.lugnet.com/parts/?n=344

Additionally, I am getting the impression that these new pieces don't stick
together as strongly as the old ones did. Not entirely sure about this though.

I don't know exactly what is going on here, but it's making me wary of buying
several sets that I would get without thinking twice otherwise.

-Gaurav

(remove the capital S's in the email)

There is a difference in how the "automatic binding bricks" bind.  I first
noticed this in the avaitar sets.Considering where the parts are made I have a
feeling that flextronics is in full swing as the supplier of the bricks and the
ones made in Denmark are what is left of the stock Lego had on hand.  I would
still buy this set ( I got two of them) even with all the problems.  The
directions are still made in Denmark so they are very good.
The set is huge, four green baseplates held together with the new very large
tiles.  There is a ton of dark grey fences 1x4x1 and those little brackets 1x1.
It is one of the best designs I have seen in a long time.
Jay P