 General / 52892
Re: How many pieces in a pound? (estimation...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:00:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In light of that, I'm currently trying to gather data from BrickLink, which
happens to have weight information for some pieces! Following this, I'm hoping
to create a cross-reference with set inventories and see how much specific sets
weigh in terms of pure brick. Given that less than half of the parts on record
seem to have weight information, this may not yield good data, but hopefully
it'll be more accurate than rough guessing.

So, for starters, I checked the weight of my entire collection according to
Peeron:

Total Weight: 446376.280000005 grams
Total Pieces: 367662
Total with weight: 10426
Total without weight: 2541
Total pieces with weight: 339630
Total pieces without weight: 28032

So, of the 12967 different types of elements I own, BrickLink had data for
roughly 10426 of them. Some are inaccurate, like combination parts (minifig
legs, etc), but it should be roughly close.

Of my total 367662 pieces total, it found weights for about 92% of them
(339630). The total weight it found was about 984.091245 pounds, which boils
down to about 345.12 pieces per pound, or 760.86 per kilogram.

So, pending further investigation, it looks like 350/pound should be a good
estimate!

DaveE