 General / 52891
Re: How many pieces in a pound? (estimation...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:04:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Karl Paulsen wrote:
After I get the weight of one of my dollar store microwave containers (my
preferred means of storage) from the delicate mail shipping scale here at work,
I am going to try this out.

For the curious, I'm actually in the middle of doing a more precise calculation.
After I answered yesterday, I went around and looked for previous LUGNET posts
on the matter, and found a staggering number of estimations for less pieces per
pound than I had suggested. Specifically, I found references to:

300 per 1 pound
1000 per 3 pounds
1000 per 1 kg
200 per 1 pound
300 per 1 pound (again)
350 per 1 pound

In light of that, I'm currently trying to gather data from BrickLink, which
happens to have weight information for some pieces! Following this, I'm hoping
to create a cross-reference with set inventories and see how much specific sets
weigh in terms of pure brick. Given that less than half of the parts on record
seem to have weight information, this may not yield good data, but hopefully
it'll be more accurate than rough guessing.

DaveE