 General / 5214
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:44:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Ed Jones" <edboxer@aol.com> writes:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading above, the Member IDs really
serve no purpose other than a system ID, similar to a Unix address.  They won't
be used as an identifier for posting to news/discussion groups.  They will be
primarily background info, although they will/could display, along with
real/alias names, in news and on sites.

Very well put -- Yes, that's about it!  As far as I can imagine right now,
they'll only appear in URLs.  I'm *sure* there must be some other place that
they'll pop up someday down the road, but my crystal ball draws a blank on
that one today.

Well, actually, here's one place they might show up:  Suppose that someday
lugnet.com (or lugnet.org) offers e-mail addresses.  It would mean that, for
example, LarryP might conceivably someday be able to receive and send mail
to/from lar@lugnet.org -- that's not inconceivable someday.

If that is the case, then make it very easy on yourself, and everyone here, and
go with pure numerics.

I think it really boils down to a choice between this format (letters):

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/lar/
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/pschmep/
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/bobklim/
   etc.

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=lar
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=pschmep
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=bobklim
   etc.

   http://www.lugnet.com/~lar
   http://www.lugnet.com/~pschmep
   http://www.lugnet.com/~bobklim
   etc.

   lar@lugnet.org
   pschmep@lugnet.org
   bobklim@lugnet.org
   etc.

or this format (numbers):

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/1/
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/2/
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/3/
   etc.

   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=1
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=2
   http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=3
   etc.

   http://www.lugnet.com/~1
   http://www.lugnet.com/~2
   http://www.lugnet.com/~3
   etc.

   1@lugnet.org
   2@lugnet.org
   3@lugnet.org
   etc.

See why I'm having such a hard time with pure-numbers?

(BTW, there'd probably still be member-#'s just for fun even if there were
alphabetic-character member-ID's.)

--Todd