 Administrative / General / 2093
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 04:13:06 GMT

Uhhh, one us is having server troubles.  None of the URLS listed below are
working.

"The requested URL /people/bobklim/ was not found on this server."

I think it really boils down to a choice between this format (letters):

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/lar/
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/pschmep/
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/bobklim/
  etc.

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=lar
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=pschmep
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=bobklim
  etc.

  http://www.lugnet.com/~lar
  http://www.lugnet.com/~pschmep
  http://www.lugnet.com/~bobklim
  etc.

  lar@lugnet.org
  pschmep@lugnet.org
  bobklim@lugnet.org
  etc.

or this format (numbers):

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/1/
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/2/
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/3/
  etc.

  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=1
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=2
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/?i=3
  etc.

  http://www.lugnet.com/~1
  http://www.lugnet.com/~2
  http://www.lugnet.com/~3
  etc.

  1@lugnet.org
  2@lugnet.org
  3@lugnet.org
  etc.

See why I'm having such a hard time with pure-numbers?

(BTW, there'd probably still be member-#'s just for fun even if there were
alphabetic-character member-ID's.)

--Todd