 Administrative / General / 2090
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:08:28 GMT

Well, the member-ID's are unique -mainly- for URLs on the outside, but also
for system-database purposes on the inside.  In the URL sense, there's no
sense in having 2 or 3 or more ID's per person -- only one per person --
otherwise URLs are no longer unique and that messes up link coloring in
browsers, among other things.

You also really won't ever have to "log in" anytime -- unless you choose to
disable cookies in your web browser, or if two or more people share a
machine or a profile, or if you log in temporarily from a public place such
as a library.

As far as visability of the member-ID's, it's a goal to make them as
unobtrusive as possible...although there's no way to escape their appearance
in URLs of member pages.  The member-ID's have no relation whatsoever to
news articles, except that the member-ID will probably be added
automatically by the system to the headers of any new news message, just
like it currently adds the X-Real-Life-Name header to each post.  So the
member-ID (if you don't like it) isn't something that you're stuck with
during day-to-day communications...only in URLs of on-site member pages.

People wouldn't walk around going, "Pleased to meet you, two seventy-five.
I'm six twelve."  You'd still say, "Hi, I'm Charles," or "Hi, I'm feanor23x"
in day-to-day communications.

--Todd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm reading above, the Member IDs really
serve no purpose other than a system ID, similar to a Unix address.  They won't
be used as an identifier for posting to news/discussion groups.  They will be
primarily background info, although they will/could display, along with
real/alias names, in news and on sites.

If that is the case, then make it very easy on yourself, and everyone here, and
go with pure numerics.