 General / 50259
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

<snip>

If this community overwhelmingly demands the rights to use profanity without
consequence, it's my personal opinion that it would harm the overall LEGO set of
communities. A large part of what we as AFOLs do at shows and in public is to
promote LEGO as a hobby, a family-friendly alternative to ubiquitous video
gaming or mindless TV. If one of the premier LEGO enthusiast communities
developed into a non-family-friendly site (e.g. containing "mature" content),
that hypocrisy would undermine the vast amounts of goodwill that many of you
have helped to foster. Is that what you want to do?

I ask everyone in this thread who found it necessary to intentionally disregard
the language rule to rethink their post, and request a cancel and repost. You
can get your point across without the language.

- Kelly

And I've stated that I like the non-profanity, kids or no.  But if it is an
issue, then, especially for the kids who may be reading posts, I do think that
we should seriously consider the autofilter on posting.  COntrary to what others
state, it wouldn't take much CPU power to go thru submissions before posting and
$^$&% any word that may be in a database--whether it's Carlin's 7 or
whathaveyou.

So we're either serious about this, in which case we add it to the programming
on the LUGNET server, or we're not, in which case time-outs are not
warranted/valid--the ToU seems to be applied 'ad hoc', i.e. some get letters
from admins asking for a cancel request for using certain words, and others do
not.

If LUGNET's law applies equally, then let the 'puter make it equal across the
board.

Dave K