 General / 50247
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general

Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:16:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

**SNIP of some good stuff illustrating why it’s kind**
**of silly to decry LUGNET as an “Orwellian” entity**

   Cursing or somehow else make an inappropriate post? Lugnet will email you, ask you to cancel your post. If you refuse, you will be suspended for a few days - but the post will remain. If you refuse to acknowledge that the ToS applies to you (a la Marchetti), then you will be suspended until you acknowledge it.

Just a minor point--I don’t believe that Richard ever publicly declared a belief that the TOS shouldn’t apply to him. In fact, in this post, he explicitly acknowledges Todd’s right to ban him, and Richard goes out of his way to affirm that he bears no Todd ill will, stating further that none of the admins had mistreated him either.

Richard’s complaint, I believe, wasn’t that the TOS shouldn’t apply to him but rather that the TOS was by its very nature an inefficient policing instrument that is, at times, seemingly unevenly applied.

Regardless of one’s opinion of Richard, it would be incorrect to accuse him of demanding special treatment for himself.

Dave!