 General / 48998
Re: new pictures from the Lego archive Billund
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 03:57:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

   1830, 1831, 1832. Sets #695, #698, #699. These contain the very collectible
1:87 metal wheeled cars and trucks, produced from about 1955-1970. These particular cars/truck sets were produced from 1965-69. The larger ones have sold for $1000 in mint. Notice that the top long truck on the #699 set is a Shell tanker. Earlier versions of this set had an Esso Tanker (the Esso Service Station was discontinued in 1966 to be replaced by the Shell Service Station). Note the small clear plastic garage in the smaller car set. The smaller cars (no vans) were sold in these plastic garages from 1962-66, and the Lego company seemed to have some left over, and used them in these sets (ditto Samsonite had some left over and used them in the #536 Designer set). In my upcoming CD, there are 18 pages of info on all the different cars/truck models and sets available, as well as some real rarities.

There’s a nice article about these cars in this month’s issue of “Cars and Models” magazine. I had no idea they were that expensive! I’m lusting after the Karmann Ghia... Those sets are COOOOOL!

Probably a good thing, though. If I somehow connected my model car collecting obsession with my LEGO obsession I’m afraid the Universe would come to an end..

Darrell

This picture shows the same clear plastic garages I discussed. And most Lego catalogs for Europe of that era show the garage doors in red, and the garage base in white (it looks gray in some catalogs that show the red door, but they were white). But the truth be told these red door/white bases are extremely rare. I would easily pay $100 to get my hands on one of these, much more if it was in mint condition. The vast majority (99%+) of these were produced with a gray door and an gray base. These are still worth about $20 in used condition, and probably twice that when in mint condition. And were talking WITHOUT any cars or cardboard wrappers here, just the plastic boxes.

Gary Istok