 General / 48371
Re: Your Organizational Genius is Needed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:32:23 GMT

"Kevin Richey" <kevinrichey@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hi Pat,
Keeping your parts in good sorted order is a never-ending chore. • Personally I
find sorting to be relaxing, similar to the way knitting is relaxing to • some
people. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Don't sort by color, it's too hard. Don't sort everything completely. • First sort
by size and quantity. Sorting by color should be the last step, if at all. • Start
with five piles: bricks, plates, huge pieces, tiny pieces, and everything • else.
Huge pieces include BURPs, Technic wheels, castle walls, etc. Buy some
organizers from your favorite home improvement warehouse to keep your tiny • and
hard-to-find parts.

Fine-tune your sorting criteria based on the size of your collection and • your
building habbits. Parts that you use the most should be sorted finely, • while
parts you use the least can me mixed together.

When you are sorting a pile, work from bigger parts down to smaller parts.
Bigger parts are easier to see and pick up, so you can move them quickly • into
their sorted piles. Eventually you will end up with a pile of small parts • that
is too tedious to sort. That is a good place to stop.  Dump those parts • into a
bucket and don't bother sorting them anymore until you really need to.

A good hueristic is what I call the Digging Depth Rule. Sort your parts • until
you have bins that are easy to dig through. When a bin becomes too full to • dig
through, sort it or dump it into a larger bin.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Kevin

I like this description a lot - it is quite close to what I do (though I
*do* go through the trouble of sorting the small stuff). I'm saving this
post for future reference - saves me from having to word it myself.

Yours,

Stefan.