 General / 47486
Re: Request for Feedback - focused thread
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 18:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Wayne McCaul wrote:
   In Classic Colors: -Baseplates (especially 48x48) -BURPS -Wooden Doors

In the New Colors: -Basic bricks -Slopes -Plates -Wings -Rocket peices

I keep thinking of .space and how it’ll be awhile before a whole MOC ship can be built using just new colors. The same probably goes for .castle, .town, etc.

I thought the notion of theme-specific Starter Tubs was a great idea. It could really give a boost to collecting enough of the new colors to soften the soul-crushing news. In fact, my guess is that it would be the single-best route to gaining more acceptance of the new colors. If AFOLs could get their hands on a plethora of new greys in one shot and actually do something with it, then it could go a long way towards mitigating some of the fallout.

.02

-Evil Wayne

I’ve seen two paths to accumulating new greys quickly:

1) Starter tubs

2) Releasing legends in the new colors

Choice 2 works really well for castle. You’d get good proportions of walls and bricks to help fill them in. For space, maybe releasing some classic space legends in a tub (sets like 497, 889, 891, 894, 897, 1968, and I could go on, must be a hundred or so small ones). And finally, just a lot of basic bricks, plates, tiles, and slope bricks in a 3rd tub.

So you’d have

1) Space tub (maybe two types, one with flyers with lots of wings, and one with radar trucks and rocket launchers). You can call them the “Classic Space Explorer” tubs

2) Castle legends (at least two that are overwhelmingly grey)

3) Basic tub of common plates and bricks

4) Technic packs (some Technic person should describe what goes in here, but certainly Technic bricks, liftarms, and beams)

That just leaves out the BURPs. Put those into a service pack, or throw them into an add-on for a castle.

For those still desiring old greys: They have Bricklink, and the most AFOL oriented set of all time, the ISD. Granted, not a lot of bricks in there, but no one should ever complain about plates. The AT-AT is also in online stores. The only real need that isn’t covered too well in currently available sets are bricks. So a tub with bricks and slope bricks would fill that gap in the classic greys.

There may be a good way to incorporate a large number of bricks and slope bricks into a decent model, too (I’m thinking a replica of a museum or a monument, like the Jefferson and Lincoln memorials). That’s probably a good idea for any color in getting a large number of bricks.

Now everybody, start humming... “Always look on the bright side of life...” whistling

John