 General / 47309
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 04:25:09 GMT

What colors do you grind up and mix to get Purple Dave?

:D

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
You can't simply "mix" ABS like that.

Yes you can.  It's done all the time.  Any color of ABS can be easily • recycled
into black, because the carbon used to color it will overpower any other • dyes.
Other colors are entirely dependant upon what you want to recycle them • into.
You can't recycle blue into red, but you can recycle many shades of red • and/or
yellow into many shades of orange.  The key is that you need to know • exactly
what color you're starting with, how much you've got of that color, and • exactly
which color you're going to produce (and you need to know that anyways). • Once
you know all of that, you can figure out what color/quantity you need to • mix
into the off-color to make it look like the color you want.  We've spent • quite a
while discussing the merits of having FDA White ABS reground into OSHA • Yellow or
black, because you can't regrind any post-consumer plastic into • FDA-approved
plastic, and we don't use any non-FDA white plastic.

The colors will never blend 100% and you'll get swirling patterns such • as
McDonalds "Flurry" icecreams :)

As long as your regrind chunks and new pellets are thoroughly mixed by the • time
they're dumped in the hopper, everything between that point and the output • point
should provide more than enough opportunity for a true color to come out • the
other end.