 General / 47215
Re: Color Change - Final Update - Track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 18:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Bellis wrote:

Train track must stay the same, with anything new as an addition, never a
replacement.  Either that or TLC will have to give me $5000!

Why?  I hear the WHINE, but I'm not hearing the WHY. WHY is this important,
compared to other things (assume you're making a priority list here)

Track varies in color in real life. It just *doesn't* make a high priority list
of things in my view. If you have a ship or a vehicle or a building (non stone,
that is, a painted grey building that you're modeling) where some parts are OFF,
that looks a *lot* more jarring than having some ties different colors...

I'm just eager that the track should not change *again*.  OK, new light grey
would be OK, and new dark grey tolerable at a push (it makes old dark grey look
silly) but given that track pieces are some of the most expensive ones, changing
them costs the consumer a lot of money.  As long as compatibility is maintained
then OK.  The track geometry debate belongs elsewhere!

If you don't like their policies, vote with your wallet, but it seriously
degrades your argument to say that LEGO owes you 5000 USD or whatever because
they made a product change, and you're enabling execs to tune you right out. Why
give them that excuse? Don't foam!

LEGO doesn't owe you (or any other consumer) anything merely because you bought
stuff from them in the past, unless you had some specific contract.

The $5000 was tongue in cheek, though the previous cost of changing *to* the 9V
system was a true figure.  If I have to be much more pessimistic in my
expectations of obsolescence of Lego pieces, I might have to find another hobby!
I fully realise that no-one owes me anything on the products I've bought, but
the feeling of it being in extremely bad faith won't go away.  The figure was
given as the estimated cost of replacing all my train-specific parts, if that
were ever necessary.

In the meantime, fulfilling the original request, other parts that should stay
in old colours include the two cliff scenery chunks from castle sets and the
pieces to make SNOT (hinges, brackets, bricks with studs on the side etc...), as
well as bricks, plates and tiles.

Mark