 General / 47209
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 18:02:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
<VERY LARGE SNIP>

Hi Jake,

Well, I know you've been reading this thread; I've seen a few responses already.

I think there are two reasons why AFOLs are angry and/or upset with the color
change:

(1)  The new colors don't match their current selection, look awful, etc.
(2)  The lack of communication of these changes.  Somebody had to open a set to
find out.

I'm going to talk about reason (2).  You've heard a lot about reason (1).

The LUGNET community is rather informed about Lego's upcoming products.  The
fact is that the color change caught us completely off-guard, and when people
are startled, we act emotionally.

Communication to the general public is something that TLC really needs to work
on.  For example, I remember when I was a kid in the 80's, that in the Lego
aisle at a department store or TRU, a little flip display showing all the
current products was mounted on the shelves (pretty much just the large
brochure).  I haven't seen one of those since I became an AFOL a few years back.
Those flip displays usually also had some info about each product line.

I'm not sure why these displays are gone.  There have been some effective
displays recently.  For example, the basketball shooter was a great display, at
least once I was a TRU, and saw a kid try it, and picked up the Streetball set.
The display for the 1st wave of SW MINI sets was also effective: after seeing
it, I knew that to make the TIE bomber, I needed all four sets.

But where were displays for the whole general line, or more importantly, for
Jack Stone and Explore?  My mom was shopping for my 1-yr old cousin this past
winter, and was going batty looking for a Duplo set.  This is someone who's been
receiving the S@H catalog since the early 80's.  I had to explain afterwards
(she didn't tell me she was looking before the holiday season) what Explore was,
and even I'm not clear on the concept.  As for Jack Stone (now 4+), I still
don't understand the need for "transitional" sets; I highly doubt many of your
main purchasers of these sets do, either.

I hope the lesson learned is that communication with all of your consumers is
vital.  I'm more upset with the lack of communication regarding various product
changes than with the actual changes themselves.  A lot of tech companies have
this same problem: you'll note that the PC companies with the best tech support
ratings also have the highest number of repeat buyers.

This communication is a two-way street.  I think what's occuring right now is:
1)  AFOLs get a lot of information out from TLC, but put in very little input.
2)  The main consumer base is receiving very little information from TLC about
product features, changes, enhancements, etc.

Most of the responses have been addressing issue 1.  This response has been
addressing issue 2, and I think issue 2 will the stronger influence on TLC's
future success.

I hope this gets passed along, because not every TRU has an AFOL wandering
around the Lego aisle, available to answer questions on every set.

And Jake, thanks for keeping us informed.  Not every company would be willing to
communicate with us; that's what keeps Lego above everyone else.

John Riley