 General / 47200
Re: Color Change - Final Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 17:32:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Riley wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bryan Kinkel wrote:

But I would also be interested in what kind of "good thinking" went into
this. Why did Lego do this? Why take something that has been stable for 25+
years and suddenly change it?

Well, somewhere in all the "good thinking" you will probably find the word
"Bionicle".  Not even Jake would be able to put enough spin on that for us AFOLs
to swallow it...  ;-)  Hence, the reasoning will remain a mystery to us.

I'm going to be answering some of the questions brought up in this thread as
best as I can throughout the day and week. But let me say that I take issue with
that idea that I "spin" anything.

I don't try to, nor do I feel like I spin or in any way lie to this community. I
have a mantra that I maintain an "open and honest relationship" with this
community. Over almost 4 years of working for LEGO and with this community, I
feel like I've done a very good job of sticking to that mantra.

Jake,

You chose to take the worst possible meaning of "spin" (despite my winking
smiley) and I am sorry for that.  The definition I intended was merely the
interpretation of facts to put the best possible face on a bad situation.  That
doesn't automatically mean lying or half-truths (and I am not trying to redefine
the word "is" here, either).  Phrases like "good news" and "classified as
universal" come off as the usual PR you get from many institutions nowadays so
you can see why my view on this whole situation is somewhat cynical.

Nevertheless, please accept my apologies for any offense taken.

Regards,

Mark